Sunday, April 7, 2013

Outpatient Endoscopy: A smooth process with a surprise ending

Posted by Celiac Disease Family

Off to see the Peds G.I. for our daughters first endoscopy.  But, before I explain the surprise ending, let me take a moment to talk about the methodical pre-procedure experience as I believe it deserves some merit--and reflection.

A few days prior, I received a call from the outpatient clinic's office asking me to surrender my insurance information so they could verify my daughter's insurance benefits.  The following day, another person from the same office called me, letting me know my insurance was fine--but that I had not met my deductible and that I owed a sizeable amount which must be paid now over the phone or the procedure could not be confirmed.  She was ready for my credit card faster than I could whip it out.

I chose my preferred Amex card (waiting for them to say they do not accept it) and proudly stated it's the only card I carry.  I thought to myself: what if a family could not pay via credit card?  Why wouldn't they have shared this important payment information during this initial consult?   In short, they worked really hard to make sure I was a qualified, paying customer.  And had paid--in advance--the day before.  I'm sure the doctor was VERY focused on these important details.

Nonetheless, the day of the procedure arrived.  Our daughter was understandably nervous.  My wife and I explained what the procedure entailed and that it would go smoothly.  We chose sedation through the mask therapy and we went her off.

After 40 or so minutes, the doctor called us in and explained that it was, in his opinion, celiac.  He put her on a gluten free diet and told us that we would need to see him in his office after the results came back to ensure that it was in fact, celiac.  He took the time to explain a little more about the disease and answer some of our preliminary questions.  And we were off to pick up our daughter from the recovery area.

And this is where it gets shocking.

As my wife and I approached our groggy -- but still smiling daughter -- a nurse came over with a glass of juice and some crackers for her.  We asked her how she was feeling, each gave her a huge hug and a kiss and she started to munch on the crackers and drink her juice.  As she started to happily munch on her second cracker, I asked the nurse in my sarcastic manner, "those are gluten free crackers, correct?"

Her eyes lit up, I grabbed the crackers from my daughter and the nurse's face turned white.  She didn't know what to say.  When I asked her how she could serve wheat crackers to a recently confirmed patient with Stage IV celiac disease, she simply replied, "The doctor didn't mention anything about eating gluten free."  Are you kidding me?

And that is what is simply so disappointing.

We had "process" where, on a quest to identify whether my daughter has celiac: his office

  • takes my money quickly and efficiently for the initial consult
  • takes my money quickly and efficiently for the follow-up consult
  • swiftly calls me to verify my insurance before the procedure to make sure I am qualified to pay
  • makes me pay quickly and efficiently the DAY BEFORE the procedure
And then minutes after the doc confirms a positive celiac diagnosis, our daughter:

  • is sloppily and carelessly given wheat crackers as her first meal!
I am still baffled at how a physician with 10+ years of medical training and years of experience treating pediatric GI patients--specializing in celiac disease--can let this happen on his watch.

I am certainly aware of and have sympathy for the more consequential medical errors occurring to others, but this one seems so easy to manage.

It's just unacceptable to me.  I feel badly (embarrassed) for Dr. Enrique Hernandez...but more so for my daughter since this should have been preventable.  And she can't do anything about it...she's only 5.

0 comments: